Tuesday, March 10, 2009

a french life

I love french bread, but always seem to have a lot left over since there is only 2 of us at home.

Last week I bought a loaf at the market and we sat down to a french dinner of bread and delicious cheese. After we were full, we still had a half a loaf left, so I put it back in the bakery bag and closed it up until the next nights diner. As I looked at the loaf, i thought, garlic bread to go along with chicken parmesan and some roasted asparagus. So, I softened some butter added some garlic and some chopped herbs and smashed the butter to combine. Smearing the butter onto the 2 halves, sprinkling with parmesan and baking until golden and crisp. What a great dinner, but yet a gain I still had left over bread, about a quarter of the loaf. So I cut it into chunks added the zest from the halved lemon I used for the asparagus and added it to the food processor. Wow lemon garlic bread crumbs with a lot of flavor. For the next nights dinner we made lemon pepper chicken meatballs with asparagus mock-risotto, a brightly flavored spring time dinner.

Who knew the life of a french bread could be a week.

Tip: Look for frozen chopped herbs in the freezer department. I found mine at Trader Joe's and love having chopped basil, garlic and cilantro on hand to add to dishes. No more wasted fresh herbs in the refrigerator.

1 comment: